Wednesday 13 January 2010

Planning- 100 days until the PCT

Well, here I sit on my sister's couch, trying with all my might to not let the excitement of an upcoming thru-hike get the better of me. I have not yet gotten a new backpack for this trip, though I am looking at the Mountain Laurel Designs' Exodus or the Osprey Aura 35. The question is: Frame or no frame?
Also, I just ordered a food dehydrator so I can start making/dehydrating my meals. I've heard from past PCT thru-hikers that food resupplies/availability is mostly gas stations and places in the middle of nowhere that feel they have the right to charge exorbitant prices for a candy bar. Also- I would like to eat more fruit and veggies than I did on my AT thru-hike.
That's all for now, don't forget to enjoy yourself!

5 comments:

  1. You might want to look at Granite Gears, Vapor Trail or one of their other packs. Very lightweight and very comfortable, I used the Vapor Trail in Yosemite and it was unbelievably comfortable....

    Take Care,

    Johnnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    Don't skimp on First Aid and Survival gear, especially if you are going it alone. There are some really sketchy sections along that route. You may want to consider taking a locator beacon, especially if you are going it alone. I admire your courage and sense of adventure. Plan carefully!!

    Johnnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! My daughter did part of this trail a couple of years ago and said that it was the hardest thing she had ever done. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well for you and will be eager to read your updates.

    Judy Ellsworth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there. I'm honored to be mentioned in your first entry, even if it's just in passing. Best of luck and thanks for setting this up so we can "keep an eye" on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This lovely young lady made it to Barrel Springs (by Ranchita) CA on Wed. April 28th My husband, son, and friends are trail angels that fed the hikers and sent them on their way to Warner Springs rested and with a full tummy and plenty to drink. To all of her family and friends Lauren looked happy & well even though the last few days were cold and windy. Neon we wish you safe wonderful journeys on the PCT
    "Princess"

    ReplyDelete